We aim to
- advance democratic processes and smart governance strategies in Germany, Europe and the world and
- advance cooperation between government, business and civil society while including academia and the media
Through this deliberative exchange of ideas, we help create a mutual understanding and establish sustainable democratic politics.
We strengthen the level of transparency, democratic participation and accountability of citizens.
We aim for a transdisciplinary solution of current sociopolitical challenges and problems by bringing the know-how of our knowledge society and the methodically-tested knowledge of the sciences together.
This concerted and targeted collaboration of all social actors establishes a common understanding of multi-facetted social challenges that allows for the development of strategic answers and mobilizes political coalitions – beyond party-based reasoning – for the implementation of the identified solutions.
Our main areas of expertise include:
- The HUMBOLDT-VIADRINA Governance Platform strives to achieve better conditions for democracy, shared prosperity and sustainability. We do this by bringing together government, the business sector and organized civil society in structured three-actor dialogues (so called Trialogs) and mediate between the different perspectives. This approach makes the preparation of complex social change and/or policies that go beyond party-based politics possible. The collaborative diagnosis, the design of reforms and their implementation strengthens cooperation between government, business and organized civil society. All in all, this effort supports democratic and welfare-oriented processes of decision-making.
- Our Governance Centers work on creative solutions for societal problems and the implementation of good governance policies for the common good. Our Centers focus on regions (Governance Center for the MENA Region) or on specific issues (Center on Governance through Human Rights, and Governance Center for Natural Resources).
- Our Governance Projects focus on application-oriented research in the areas of international development and cooperation, anti-corruption, quality in school education, strengthening of civil society, transdisciplinarity
The HUMBOLDT-VIADRINA Governance Platform was founded by seven individuals and two foundations who work passionately for a more democratic, just, ore sustainable world.Our founders provide in-depth experience from politics and political parties, academia, intergovernmental organizations, the private sector and civil society
- Prof. Dr. Gesine Schwan,
- Sven Biermann,
- Prof. Dr. Stephan Breidenbach,
- Peter Conze,
- Prof. Dr. Peter Eigen,
- Prof. Dr. Udo Steinbach,
- Heidemarie Wieczorek-Zeul,
- Canopus Foundation and
- Quelle Innovationsstiftung (represented by the Maecenata Institute).
The HUMBOLDT-VIADRINA Governance Platform is a non-profit limited liability company. The profits are used only for charitable purporses.
The HUMBOLDT-VIADRINA Governance Platform was established in July 2014. It is based on the methodology and the project experience of the former HUMBOLDT-VIADRINA School of Governance.